What is the application process?
- Choose your area of specialization from the side-bar, and download the respective initial or recertification application.
- Submit your application along with all supporting documentation by August 1st. (Applications received after August 1 are assessed a late fee, and no applications are accepted after October 1.)
- Include the application fee of $300; $375 if after August 1 and before October 1.
- Your application will be screened by the BLS Administrator, who may inform you of additional information needed
- Disciplinary histories are requested
- Peer review reference forms are sent out.
- The Advisory Commission will begin the review and vetting process to include review of the disciplinary history, peer review responses, and substantial involvement to ensure the applicant meets the Standards for Certification in the practice area.
- Applicants for initial certification must also pass a specialization examination, scheduled in the spring each year.
- Each Advisory Commission submits its recommendation for certification for each applicant to the Board of Legal Specialization. BLS acts upon the recommendations at the next available meeting.
- The entire process generally concludes in the spring following submission of your application.
Learn more about the areas of Legal Specialization:
Administrative Law | Bankruptcy | Criminal | Estate & Trust | Family | Personal Injury and Wrongful Death | Real Estate | Tax Law | Workers Compensation
Don't see your practice area listed? Contact the BLS Administrator to find out more about starting a new area of specialization.
For additional information contact:
Board of Legal Specialization Administrator