Non-Attorneys can help improve practice of law
Non-Attorneys sought for Arizona Supreme Court Character and Fitness Committee
PHOENIX – December 1, 2022 – The State Bar of Arizona is recruiting non-attorneys for the Arizona Supreme Court’s Committee on Character and Fitness. While the Committee is not a small commitment, its work is an important part of ensuring that Arizona attorneys meet the standards required in the legal profession. The Committee is also vital to driving the Bar’s mission of enhancing the legal profession by promoting the competency, ethics and professionalism of its members.
- Are responsible for the investigation and recommendation of applicants for admission to the practice of law in Arizona.
- Review confidential detailed reports of background investigations into financial, criminal, civil, employment, disciplinary and academic matters.
- Review approximately 1,200 applications each year.
- Attend one formal hearing monthly in Phoenix. Members are expected to participate in each formal hearing, and in one or more informal inquiry panels per month held in Phoenix or Tucson.
- Devote an average of 25 hours per month to Committee responsibilities.
- May be from anywhere within Arizona. Mileage is paid for any members residing outside Maricopa County, but there is no other compensation for service as a Committee member.
- Serve four-year terms.
Application forms are due by Friday, December 30, 2022, and can be obtained by contacting Carrie.Sherman@staff.azbar.org or calling 602.340.7201. Application forms may also be downloaded from the Bar’s Web site at
Selected candidates will be interviewed in early February.
About the State Bar
The State Bar of Arizona is a non-profit organization that operates under the supervision of the Arizona Supreme Court. The Bar regulates approximately 19,000 active attorneys in Arizona and provides education and development programs for the legal profession and the public. The Bar’s mission is to serve and protect the public with respect to the provision of legal services and access to justice.
- Non Lawyers Needed for Committee
- Free in-person legal clinic on Wills & Estates
- Character and Fitness Committee seeking non-lawyers
- AZ Attorneys Respond: Law Day Clinic 2022
- Statement from State Bar president Jennifer Rebholz
- Arizona Attorney Magazine wins national award
- State Bar Board Sworn In
- State Bar Response to Killing of George Floyd
- COVID-19 Legal Hotline
- Rule Changes and Code Section Proposals Affecting the Practice of Law
- Proposed Rule Changes Affecting the Practice of Law